Low back pain is the most common complaint during pregnancy. Sciatica is one cause of back pain during pregnancy. Professionals highlighted that Sciatica is pain is due to irritation of the sciatic nerve. The main symptom is a shooting pain starts in the low back and radiates down the leg. Sciatica may rise during the later stages of pregnancy when your baby is large.
The sciatic nerve is a large nerve gets off the spinal cord in the low back along the buttocks and down the legs. This nerve helps the lower part of the back, legs, and feet to feel sensations, as pressure, temperature and pain. Doctors clarified that during pregnancy, sciatica may arise if the growing uterus and the baby put pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing inflammation and pain.
The main symptom of sciatica is pain in the low back and legs. It may start in the low back , but it radiates down into the legs.
Other symptoms doctors combines sciatica :
- poor bladder control
- weakness of the low back
- pins or tingling or needles in the legs
- pain that worsens with coughing & moving
- burning sensation in the lower limbs
You should visit your doctor when experiencing these symptoms during pregnancy.
Simple home remedies
Light stretches may be a great way to loosen up tight muscles and relieve pain from sciatica. Try these stretches each day a way to relieve sciatica pain:
1- piriformis stretch
- Sit on a chair with feet flat on the ground.
- Lift the left leg and place the foot on the opposite knee.
- Lean forward slowly, keeping the back straight, until you feel a stretch in the low back and glutes.
- Hold the stretch for few seconds.
- Repeat the move with the other leg.
2- Child’s Pose relaxation
- Kneel on a soft surface .
- Touch the big toes together and spread the knees apart to make room for the belly.
- Sit with the back straight.
- Each the arms above the head, Inhaling
- Exhaling, reach the arms forward and place the palms on the ground.
- Sit back, bringing the bottom towards the heels.
- stretching the arms forward a little more with each breath, feeling the stretch in the low back and shoulders.
- Walk the hands back slowly and return to a kneeling position.
3- hamstring stretch while standing
- Stand upright with both feet on the ground.
- Raise the left leg and place it on a stable object, with the leg straight and the toes pointing towards the ceiling.
- Gently bend forward to stretch the hamstring muscle.
- Hold the position for few seconds.
- Gently place the foot back on the floor.
- Repeat the stretch with the other leg.
- Kneel on a soft surface
- Step the left foot in front.
- Exhaling, shift your body forward to feel a stretch in the hip and the leg.
- Hold the stetch for few seconds.
- Repeat the move with the other foot.
Gentle pregnancy massage on the lower section of the back may help to relieve the inflammation and discomfort around the sciatic nerve.
In addition to massage and stretching, kindly find some tips at home to manage sciatica during pregnancy as :
- Take a warm bath.
- Avoid sitting for long periods
- Use heat packs on the low back .
- Keep good posture when sitting, Try placing a support pillow at the back of the chair.
- Use a foam roller on the buttocks and lower legs.
mom health care, mom pregnancy issues, mom health issues , Sciatica pain, mum pregnancy Sciatica pain , mom care